Whether you've damaged a tooth or want to transform the appearance of an unattractive tooth, crowns and bridges can improve your smile. Our Midland, MI, dentist, Dr. Kathryn Winkel, can discuss several types of crowns and bridges with you.
Crown types in Midland
The type of crown that's best for your tooth will depend on your particular dental issue, your dentist's recommendations and your preferences. Crowns, hollow restorations that fit over teeth, are used to strengthen weak or fragile teeth, repair fractured teeth, change the shape or length of teeth or hide flaws. Before a crown can be placed in your mouth, the tooth must be reduced in size in order to ensure that the restoration fits properly.
Common crown types include:
- Porcelain-Fused-to-Metal: These crowns consist of a layer of porcelain over a durable metal core. They're often placed on back teeth used for biting and chewing.
- Porcelain: All-porcelain crowns aren't quite as strong as porcelain-fused-to-metal crowns and are used in front teeth that aren't exposed to strong biting pressure.
Bridge types in Midland
Bridges replace gaps in your smile caused by missing teeth. Bridge types include:
- Traditional: Traditional bridges consist of artificial teeth called pontics attached to crowns, or abutments, on either end of the bridge.
- Cantilever: Cantilever bridges are bridges that are held in place by only one abutment instead of two.
- Maryland: Both traditional and cantilever bridges require reduction of the teeth that will be covered by the abutments. Because Maryland bridges don't use abutments, there's no need to alter your teeth. These bridges are held in place by a metal or porcelain frame that is attached to the backs of teeth on either side of the gap.
- Implant-Supported: Implant-supported bridges are held in place by dental implants, rather than crowns. Implants replace tooth roots and bond to your jawbone, offering a long-lasting, comfortable option. Once the implant bonds to your jawbone, you'll be fitted for a bridge in our Midland office.
Protect and improve your smile with crowns and bridges. Call our Midland, MI, dentist, Dr. Winkel, at (989) 631-6680 to schedule an appointment.